Here we go.

10 May 2010

Private Spring Break


05/03/2010
We had a weeks-long trial go off @ work, so the law clerk asked the judge if we could split up the time & have a our own spring break. He said yes & this week's mine! Mine has been nice & boring, but in the most excellent way. I've done some housekeeping, gone on a day trip & watched a LOT of 30 Rock. The only thing I *really* need to plan for is the mother's day picnic & hike. EASY!
-----
05/10/2010
Anyway...
Alannah visited the Friday before last. She was with her international students, so her visit was brief. We were able to get a meal & belated birthday celebration in & she came over to get in some (kitty) hang time, but we did have to deal with ridiculous stormy weather. The kind that strands people (against their will?) at your home & cancels business and camping trips.

Here's Alannah (w/ Hot Dog), doing some field work:
Photobucket

Last Tuesday, Day 5 of my private spring break, I took a solo day-trip to Hot Springs. The first thing I did, because I didn't really have a plan, was go to West Mountain Scenic Drive & Trail and figure out the plan. I mean, I knew I was going to hike at Garvan Gardens, but I didn't know what I was going to do after that. West Mountain had such a mixed bag of visitors that morning. Traveling elders, park rangers, people just needing a quiet place to park so they could sleep in their car, hikers & pot smokers. Oh, and me. It was a really beautiful, mild day, so I couldn't blame any of them for wanting to hang out up there. After taking in the town view and loosely coming up with a plan, I drove over to Garvan Gardens. ZOMG. Elderlys everywhere. And they can keep up! I gave up listening to music through my headphones because they all wanted to chat. Everyone was really sweet & it's nice to be amongst folks who love that sort of thing. Gardens.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Japanese maples, looking up:
Photobucket

Jasmine:
Photobucket

Wild strawberries:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Instead of eating at the usual Rolando's, I tried Cafe 1217. Thumbs way up! Fresh & tasty. I wonder why we've gone this long w/o eating there. One of the lovely things that they do is offer a peach/mango iced tea with a sprig of mint. Mwah! Apparently, the owners of Cafe 1217 own the Mexican restaurant next door, so put that down on ye olde to-do list. After some cheap retail therapy & exploring Lake Catherine State Park for possible future camping/hiking, I went home.

Sometimes I think about the large quantities of time that KMHD & I will be spending in Hot Springs when we open our hotel. I don't think we will hate it. We know a lot of sweet spots & I can totally envision myself hiking the gardens and sipping lots of peach/mango tea. This makes me happy, even much more when I realize I have lots of pleasant little things to look forward to. Well, in addition to a lot of back/soul-breaking work. But, still. Little things.

We celebrated Mother's Day on Saturday because mum had to work on Sunday. We packed a picnic & drove back to Woolly Hollow State Park. After a fine meal of grilled hot dogs, baked beans, potato chips, and strawberry shortcake, we hiked the cute little trail. Mom told us that she hasn't gone hiking in 10+ years, but she did so well. It was the best thing ever to walk with some of my most favorite (crazy) people, discussing politics & plants. We also discussed the wedding; it looks like the whole Viet clan are going to attend. I mean, I am the first of my generation to get married, so file this under BFD. When my mother informed me of this, it literally took my breath away. Now, I'm super scared & don't want to plan anything. If you knew a couple of my aunts, you'd understand.
Photobucket
Mum, KMHD:
Photobucket

On the trail:
Photobucket

Mum:
Photobucket

KMHD, ATM & mom, doing a Mother's Day activity forced upon them by me:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The last week has been a pleasant blur. I love time off! I didn't even know how badly I needed it until I had it. Make time for yourself.

On our calendar:
Photobucket

Photobucket



The future: Island camping, Slade-Welch nupitials

2 comments:

nicole said...

Your pictures are fantastic. I love that sunprint kit. So cool. KMHD did a great job on the e-party postcards! ANTS! Love. xoxo.

AMD & KMHD said...

Thanks, you!

I've had that sunprint kit for years, so I'm glad I finally got to use it. Too, mum got a Mother's Day Picnic/Hike 2010 souvenir out of it.

I love my mama!

xx

Blog Archive